Amethyst is a semi-precious stone which derives its name from the Ancient Greek word “μέθυστος méthystos” denoting drunkenness.
This was in reference to the belief that Amethyst protects its owner from becoming inebriated. A stone worn on the body had a sobering effect, not only for the inebriation but in over-zealousness in passion. The religious leader’s often worn Amethyst to keep them grounded in spiritual thought.
This exquisite crystal was used as gemstones by the ancient Egyptians, while the European soldiers wore amulets, as they believed it would protect them, heal them and keep them calm.
Amethyst is a variety of Quartz, the second most abundant mineral in the earth’s crust after feldspar, which gets its violet colour due to the iron impurities and presence of trace elements.
Colour varies from light pinkish violet to a deep purple.
The highest grade of Amethyst – “Deep Russian” – is very rare and valuable.
Natural Amethyst is dichroic in reddish and bluish violet but when heated turns yellow-orange, yellow-brown or dark brownish. Even partially heated amethyst turns into ametrine.
Boosts the production of hormones, stimulates the spathic nervous system and endocrine glands, blood oxygenation, digestive tract, hearing disorders, insomnia heart and stomach.
Strengthens immune system and is wonderful as an elixir for arthritis. It is good for skin, alleviates pain, tension and lowers high blood sugar.
Helps ease mental anxieties, identify negative behaviours, habits and emotional patterns, especially in overcoming addictions.
It promotes awareness, sense of judgement, constructive thinking and acting.
Spiritually aids alertness, justice and an overall sense of inner peace.
- Purifies the aura of negative energy and places a protective light shield around the body
- Provides the clarity of thought
- Aids with the relief of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and hyperactivity
- Brings calmness to angry mind and soothes anxiety
- Centres those who are stressed or overwhelmed
- Helps with addiction and intoxicated drivers
- Aids the digestive tract as well as heart, stomach and skin
- Reduces pain, swelling and heals bruising
- Relieves headaches and reduces nervous tension